|Labour is announcing today that the Labour Party’s Green Transformation Fund will fund a plan to electrify the country’s entire bus fleet by 2030, to bring “bus services into the future”. Bus electrification is part of Labour’s wider plan to transform bus services.
The Tories’ manifesto didn’t pledge a penny to reverse a decade of cuts to local bus services. This policy will bring our bus services into the future and help to revitalise our high streets and rebuild local communities.
The next Labour government will:
· Electrify all of England’s 35,000 buses by 2030, reducing their emissions by 72% to tackle the air pollution and climate crises, boosting UK manufacturing as part of a Green Industrial Revolution and bringing bus services into the future.
· Deliver the biggest ever funding boost to buses to reverse cuts made to the Tories’ destruction of more than 3000 services and fund an equally massive expansion of new services.
· Provide free bus travel to under 25s in areas that bring buses into public control or ownership.
· Give all councils the power and resources to regulate bus services and create new council-owned bus companies, so that local services are run for communities not profit.
· Make bus fares affordable.
Buses are by far the most used and most important form of public transport but huge budget cuts has caused bus use to plummet to an all time low. The Conservative Party do not care about buses nor the people and communities who rely on them.
Labour is offering a once in a generation transformation of bus services by delivering the funding and powers to deliver a world class bus service in every corner of the country, that will connect people and communities to work and leisure.
It’s time for real change, it’s time for a Labour government.